لوئيز فيروز Louise Firouz

♘امیرحسین♞

♘ مدیریت انجمن اسب ایران ♞
پاسخ : لوئيز فيروز

Samira Firouz, granddaughter of Louise Firouz who rediscovered the Caspian Miniature horse in 1965 after it was thought to be extinct, rides the horse in a presentation of native Iranian breeds during the Tehran Horse Festival September 6, 2007. Picture taken September 6, 2007.

پیوست ها

• Samira Firouz.jpg
    Samira Firouz.jpg
    77.5 کیلوبایت · بازدیدها: 20
  • Samira Firouz1.jpg
    Samira Firouz1.jpg
    45.5 کیلوبایت · بازدیدها: 22

♘امیرحسین♞

شرکت تعاونی اسب دارن و سوارکارن اصفهان ضايعه از دست رفتن بزرگ بانوی اسب ايران سرکار خانم لوئيز فيروز را به همه علاقمندان به اسب و سوارکاری تسليت عرض مي نمايد بدين وسيله از همه علاقمندان به اسب دعوت ميگردد در مراسم بزرگداشتی رز پنجشنبه 9/3/87در مزرعه ايشان واقع در کلاله استان گلستان قبل از حراج اسبها برگزار ميشود شرکت کنند

با تشکر
از طرف اسب ايرانی

امید زمانی

و براستی که چه زود دیر می شود...
پریروز (جمعه)چند ساعتی با لوییز بودم .درد کمر داشت ولی روحیه اش بسیار بهتر از قبل بود.از اینکه اسبهاش دیگه اونجا نبودن ناراحت بود بخصوص از نبودن طاغان ولی می گفت که دوباره می خوام از اول شروع کنم حتی یکی دو مادیان از گله دکتر غیادی انتخاب کرده بود که می گفت از همینها تا چندسال دیگه بهتر از قبل خواهم داشت.
بهر حال او رفته وما مثل همیشه مرثیه خوانیهای پوچمان را تکرار خواهیم کرد
به باور من بودن و ماندن لوییز را فقط یک منطق توجیه می کند وآن عشق است نه فقط به اسب بلکه عشق به کائنات استکه می تواند او را را از پس اینهمه نامردی و نامرادی تا آخر سرپا نگه دارد.
سختیهایی که لوییز در یکسال گذشته بجان خرید کوه گران را هم خرد می کرد...روزی که می خواستند اسبها و اتومبیلش را از طرف دادگاه بابت حق بیمه! یکی از کارگرانی که پیشتر آنجا کار می کرد ببرند و یا ترفندهایی که نزولخوران برای تصاحب مزرعه او بکار می بستند یا وعده های مسخره مسئولینی که هر روز از خانم لیست جدیدی از اسبهای صادراتی!! می خواستند
و یا روزی که از اروپا بازگشت و دید که اسبایش را برده اند و فروخته اند ....
و وقتی شنید که طاغان را وقتی از مزرعه می بردن گریه می کرده ...
یا وقتی که در بستر مرگ هنوز نمی دانسته آیا کسانی که می خواهند از راه قانون!!مزرعه اش را تصرف کنند اجازه دفن او را در مزرعه می دهند یا نه؟

در آخر هر چه گشتم عبارتی بهتر از این گفته لوییز نیافتم:من مثل اسبی هستم که شیرسوز شده با گذشته ای از دست رفته و فردایی تاریک

♘امیرحسین♞

omid.zamanidehkordi گفت:
و براستی که چه زود دیر می شود...
پریروز (جمعه)چند ساعتی با لوییز بودم .درد کمر داشت ولی روحیه اش بسیار بهتر از قبل بود.از اینکه اسبهاش دیگه اونجا نبودن ناراحت بود بخصوص از نبودن طاغان ولی می گفت که دوباره می خوام از اول شروع کنم حتی یکی دو مادیان از گله دکتر غیادی انتخاب کرده بود که می گفت از همینها تا چندسال دیگه بهتر از قبل خواهم داشت.
بهر حال او رفته وما مثل همیشه مرثیه خوانیهای پوچمان را تکرار خواهیم کرد
به باور من بودن و ماندن لوییز را فقط یک منطق توجیه می کند وآن عشق است نه فقط به اسب بلکه عشق به کائنات استکه می تواند او را را از پس اینهمه نامردی و نامرادی تا آخر سرپا نگه دارد.
سختیهایی که لوییز در یکسال گذشته بجان خرید کوه گران را هم خرد می کرد...روزی که می خواستند اسبها و اتومبیلش را از طرف دادگاه بابت حق بیمه! یکی از کارگرانی که پیشتر آنجا کار می کرد ببرند و یا ترفندهایی که نزولخوران برای تصاحب مزرعه او بکار می بستند یا وعده های مسخره مسئولینی که هر روز از خانم لیست جدیدی از اسبهای صادراتی!! می خواستند
و یا روزی که از اروپا بازگشت و دید که اسبایش را برده اند و فروخته اند ....
و وقتی شنید که طاغان را وقتی از مزرعه می بردن گریه می کرده ...
یا وقتی که در بستر مرگ هنوز نمی دانسته آیا کسانی که می خواهند از راه قانون!!مزرعه اش را تصرف کنند اجازه دفن او را در مزرعه می دهند یا نه؟

در آخر هر چه گشتم عبارتی بهتر از این گفته لوییز نیافتم:من مثل اسبی هستم که شیرسوز شده با گذشته ای از دست رفته و فردایی تاریک
طاغان کجاست الان؟
خانم رو کجا دفن کردند؟

♘امیرحسین♞

دستنوشته هایی از دوستاران لوئیز

I am still trying to come to terms with the loss of someone who had become one of my greatest friends. Louise was a truly remarkable person.

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to visit her in Iran and to see the huge contrast between her way of life in Kurdan and the place that she loved more than anywhere, Gara Tepe Sheik, which she lovingly called GTS.

She tackled the ten hour drive between the two without a break, sustained only by oranges. I found it hard to believe that it had taken ten hours. Louise' incredible retention and delivery of information surpassed that of any tour guide and without the useless bits of boring information usually dispensed by the less passionate. She had no time for the superfluous and she never wasted words. Her love for the country and their love for her was extraordinary.

That she was still taking parties of riders through some of the most challenging country in her 70’s was unimaginable to most people but to Louise it was a part of everyday life. A retirement cottage was not for her. Her horses and her dogs were her lifeline.

Louise was as much at home meeting the rich and famous as she was sitting on the floor with the poorest, and she had the ability to make them feel important. Louise understated her hardships and achievements. However astonishing the incidents in her life sounded, when the full facts were revealed they were always far more dramatic that she had admitted to. Many have gone to the grave with her.

Louise's book is a riveting account of her life and I will do my best to see that it is published within the next two years.

I find it hard to accept that I will never see her again.

Brenda Dalton​

♘امیرحسین♞

It was a phone call I hoped would never come and I am deeply sad
that Louise has passed away. The end of an age is upon us. We had
been following her illness and, like everyone else, we all had hoped
for her recovery, but it was not to be.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Louise face to face though we
had some delightful and enlightening exchanges over the last two
years. She was a remarkable woman - a pillar of strength, wisdom,
and unfailing courage as she persisted against all odds in her
struggle to bring the Caspian out of obscurity and into the light.
In the spirit of Diane Fossey and Jane Goodall, she will remain a
dazzling beacon of stewardship and inspiration to all equine
conservationists.

Obviously, her death affects the Festivale, as she was our Caspian
judge. The Caspian classes will remain on the SANA class list and a
special memorial trophy is planned in honor of Louise. We are still
attempting to bring Shahram over to lecture. We will keep you posted.

My deepest sympathies to Louise's family and close friends. May the
entire Caspian community strive to be worthy of the torch she has
passed and continue preserving the ancient Persian treasure she so
loved, the Caspian horse ...

Victoria

Victoria Tollman
Equus Survival Trust​

♘امیرحسین♞

For those who would like the full text of the poem
The Hooves of the Horses
The hooves of the horses - O' Witching and Sweet,
is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet;
No whisper of lover, no trilling of bird,
Can stir me as hooves of the horses have stirred.

They spurn disappointment and trample despair,
and drown with their drum beats the challenge of care,
With scarlet and silk for their banners above,
they are swifter than fortune and sweeter than love.

On the wings of the morning they gather and fly,
In the hush of the night-time I hear them go by-
The horses of memory thundering through
With flashing white fetlocks all wet with the dew.

When you lay me to slumber no spot you can choose,
but will ring to the rhythm of galloping shoes,
and under the daisies no grave be so deep
but the hooves of the horses shall sound in my sleep.

-Will H. Ogilvie from Galloping

Pandora​

♘امیرحسین♞

t was with great sadness to hear of Louise's death.I knew that she had been ill but hoped that when she returned home she was making progress.

This is such a shock to the Caspian Community as she was the bed rock and fount of all knowledge for us all.She was such a charming person and I got to know her well when she stayed with me for a week during the International Conference. She will be missed so much by so many people

All my sympathy and that of members of The CHS goes to her family and friends. It is now up to evryone of us to continue her legacy and make sure that the Caspians continue to be bred to her high standards and are widely appreciated throughout the world.

We are all so sad

Pat Bowles
Chairman of The CHS​

♘امیرحسین♞

We missed a unique friend.
All of the people who knew her are sad in Iran .
Louise always thought about the future of the Caspians and passed me most of the documents of the registration and learned me many many things about the Caspians to continue her way. I was honored to cooperate with her for registration last 3 years and of course will continue her way.
Her funeral will be on Wednesday and she will sleep on her house in GTS .
Her friends are preparing her memorial in Tehran next Sunday and the papers will publish a short comment about her memorial .
We are thinking to keep her house like a museum and keep her memory for the people who will come to there to know how she was a hard working lady who never had been tired and always tried to find a way to keep the Caspians.
I will let you know more as soon as possible.
Thanks for your warm feelings.I am sure that if she was here and was able to read your sweet notes she smiled as ever and became happy.
Cheers
Shahram​

♘امیرحسین♞

Eric and are were devastated to hear thsi terrible news, our heartfelt wishes to all her family and close friends and all of the Caspian Horse community to whom she represented so much. We had been so pleased to hear that she was recovering that to have this sudden news was dreadful.
We know that she would want all of the Caspian horse owners the worls over to continue to uphold the wonderful standard that she set and to continue her work for the recognition of the qualities of these wonderful little horses.
We shall remember her with fondness from the few occasions we met her and hope that we will all realise from this that life is too short to squabble about minor irritations but that there are greater nd more important goals out there to be acheived
With deepest regret that we never had more time with her
Pandora and Eric Best​

♘امیرحسین♞

I am so VERY sorry to hear this. I knew that she was not well, but has
come through so many things before in her life, and always with
nobility and triumph.

She will surely be missed by all of us and the world of horses as well.

Francie​

♘امیرحسین♞

Stunned and Gutted and so very very sad. she did so much for the Caspian and this is why we all have this wonderful little horse. We must ensure her legacy lives on.
I am so sorry she never saw her book published..

I owned Siyah Gosh Part of the Wolf pack and last to leave Iran for several years.
Vicki​

امید زمانی

خانم تا روز آخر هم دقیقا نمی دانست طاغان کجاست ولی تلاش میکرد به کمک آرتا خوش فکر دوباره آنرا بخرد و به مزرعه برگرداند .در ضمن تا بعد از ظهر امروز (دوشنبه)هنوز مشخص نکرده اند که ایشون را کجا بخاک خواهند سپرد

bseufert

Louise Firouz

I found out about Louise's passing as I was finding trail for a 100 mile endurance race this summer in the foothills of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. It was raining and the rivers in full flood. At first I was overtaken by deep sadness, but was quickly lifted as I watched a wild horse band with foals cross a flooded river and wait for a small foal to succeed or not. The beauty of these horses reminded me that Louise has experienced the same thing in Iran and that we are all connected through the world of horses.

I am going to speak of Louise in the present tense because, while she has passed, her presence in me is just as real as last week.

During my three trips to Iran when I spend months traveling with Louise looking at Caspian and Turkoman horses I came to know a woman who hides nothing from you. Louise is a passionate and honest friend for those people and horses who would accept her for who she is. Sometimes her openness and willingness to to trust people opened her up to heartache, but this never tainted her outlook on new friends.

On these trips I also saw how, no matter where in Iran we went, the people respected and appreciated all she had done,and all she was trying to do, for their horses.

Louise and I, with the help of many friends, made several attempts since 1999 to export additional Caspians, and the first Turkoman horses from Iran. Everytime we came to a road block I know it hurt her and wore her down, but her spirit and persistence always had her looking for other angles and enlisting other people's help. So many hours on the phone and thousands of emails, and she never once said "I give up". I don't
even believe she has those words in her vocabulary.

While I wish she had seen the establishment of legal export of Caspian and Turkoman horses, she did express her satisfaction that we did finally get some Caspians and Akhal-Tekes, even if they were from North
American stock.

So many things ache in me to say, yet the words are failing me. I'm going to pull some pictures and video of Louise together over the next
week and post online.

Louise, know that you will always occupy a special place in Grace and My hearts and memories,

At Bolsin (May Your Horse Find A Way)

Brent & Grace Seufert

And respects from the rest of the Canadian Caspian Crew: Terry and Selma Stewart, and Bill Stewart.

DADAR

Louise Firouz, the American who rediscovered them, wrote in 1968: "We are still searching for them: diminutive .... Arab looking creatures with big bold eyes, prominent jaws and high-set tails which so distinguish their larger cousins. It has been a losing battle as the already pitifully small numbers are further decimated each year by famine, disease and lack of care, until now we must accept the sad fact that the survivors must number no more than 30."

Mrs. Firouz was writing of her concern that an ancient, pure breed of horse, the forerunner of most hot bloods, until then thought to be extinct, was in fact, on the very brink of extinction. Through neglect, ignorance, and the vicissitudes of the 13 centuries returned to the wild, this ancient breed's honored place in history had been almost irretrievably lost. Only at the last minute and by pure chance, were the existence, beauty, and rarity of this regal horse rediscovered.

In 1957, Louise Laylin, an American born Cornell graduate, married fellow student Narcy Firouz, an aristocrat linked to the former Shah of Iran. She returned with him to his native country of Iran. Subsequently, she and her husband established the Norouzabad Equestrian Center for children of families living in the country's capital of Tehran. One of the difficulties she faced, that of providing appropriate mounts for some of the smaller riders, proved a catalyst for her pursuit of what were rumored to be very small horses in the remote villages above the Caspian Sea. Because hot-blooded stallions were the only mounts available for Tehran's young riders, Mrs. Firouz wanted to provide smaller, more even-tempered equines. Her work would soon result in the rediscovery and preservation of an ancient breed, that she dubbed The Caspian Horse.

In 1965, with a small expedition of female companions, Louise discovered small horses in the mountainous regions south of the Caspian Sea, centered near the town of Amol. At first glance, they appeared somewhat rough from lack of nourishment, and were covered with ticks and parasites. However, upon closer inspection, these horses showed distinctive characteristics similar to the Arabian horse such as large protruding eyes, a prominent jaw, large nostrils, a dished head and a high set tail. This first trip rescued 3 horses, which were dubbed Caspians, for the vicinity in which they were found. The former owners of these often misused and over-worked horses had no idea of the breed's near extinction.

Between July 1965 and August 1968, Mrs. Firouz conducted a careful survey to determine the approximate number and range of the surviving Caspian horses. On the basis of this survey, it was estimated that there were approximately 50 small horses with definite Caspian characteristics along the entire southern coast of the Caspian Sea. The major concentration of these horses (approximately 30) occupied a 2,000 square mile triangle between Amol, Babol and Kiakola in the Elburz Mountains. The remaining 20 horses were so scattered it was impossible for the survey to consider them as completely pure.

Of the horses found, 7 mares, and 6 stallions were purchased to form the foundation stock for a breeding center established by Mrs. Firouz in Norouzabad, Iran. As a purely private venture, this first breeding center was financially difficult to maintain. In 1970, the Royal Horse Society (RHS) was formed under the patronage of the Crown Prince, HIH Prince Reza Pahlavi. The primary aim of the RHS was to preserve and improve Iran's native breeds. The RHS purchased the foundation Caspians, by then numbering 23, but allowed them to be maintained in Norouzabad until 1974, at which time the RHS took over complete management of the herd.

Surviving War and Revolution
Due to the pressing military situation caused by the Iran-Iraq War, and her interest in keeping the breed alive, between 1971 and 1976, Mrs. Firouz exported 9 stallions and 17 mares representing 19 different Caspian bloodlines from Iran to Europe. These 26 horses constitute the European Foundation Herd. This wise decision ensured the survival of the Caspian horse outside of Iran.

Because of her efforts to save the Caspian horses from starvation and slaughter by exportation during the early years of the Islamic Revolution in 1979, Narcy and Louise Firouz were arrested and detained. During this incarceration, Mrs. Firouz was imprisoned while suffering from a broken left ankle, she went on a hunger strike in protest which was successful, but she left prison weak and emaciated.

With Iran's many recent political upheavals, the overthrow of the Shah, the Islamic Revolution, bombing during the protracted Iran-Iraq War and the ever-present threat of famine, together with the Caspian's close association with royalty, the Caspian's survival there remains precarious. Louise Firouz' discovery was ever in the balance between political honoraria as a national treasure, and the threat of political seizure as wartime food. After Mrs. Firouz' breeding successes in the 1960's and early '70's, the Iran-Iraq War placed a heavy burden on her endeavors. The Royal Horse Society of Iran completely took over the Norouzbad herd in 1974. A second private herd was started in 1975, consisting of 20 mares and 3 stallions from feral stock found along the Caspian coast. The breeding center was established by Mrs. Firouz; this time, in northeastern Iran at Gara Tepe Sheikh.

In 1977, this second private breeding center was ordered to close its doors as the RHS declared a ban on all Caspian exports. The RHS collected all Caspians remaining in Iran to breed selectively in a "national stud" to conform to a specific standard of the breed. Forced by the government to surrender all but one Caspian horse, Mrs. Firouz' founding stock was effectively wiped out. Due to the complex political climate, most of the RHS horses were lost, primarily through auction sales of the nationalized horses to Turkoman and Kazakh tribes who used the purchases as pack animals and for meat!

After the war was over, Mrs. Firouz once again completely redeveloped a third breeding center to save the Caspian from extinction in Iran. The 1992 International Caspian Stud Book listed 38 registered Iranian Caspians. Mrs. Firouz obtained most of these horses through either expeditions to the Caspian seacoast to capture more feral horses; purchases from Revolutionary Guards repatriating stolen or seized horses after the Iran-Iraq War, or through breeding.

Undaunted, by political pressure, Mrs. Firouz was able to ship 3 stallions and 4 mares to Europe via the Azeri-American war zone where bandits attacked and robbed the convoy, on across Russia to Belarus, and then to the United Kingdom. These horses which left Iran in July of 1993, reached the United Kingdom in February of 1994. This shipment will sustain and enhance the gene pool and healthy breeding of the Caspian horse established in Europe and the United States.

By 1992, there were still only 112 breeding mares and 30 stallions in Europe. Fortunately, according to the studies completed by Dr. Gus Cothran, the measure of genetic variation among the world-wide Caspian horse population was near the average for U.S. domestic breeds.

Mr. Nancy Firouz passed away in May 1994. Due to estate settlement, and the financial losses Mrs. Firouz incurred in the shipment of the last 7 Caspians out of Iran into England she was unable to continue her breeding program in Iran. The remainder of Mrs. Firouz’s Caspian horses were sold to the Ministry of Jehad. The fate of the Caspian remaining in Iran was once again in jeopardy.

More recently, in 1999, aided by the visits into Iran and support of concerned individuals from Canada and the United States, Louise Firouz, at the age of 65, has started yet another Caspian breeding program on her remote farm at Gara Tepe Sheikh on the Turkoman Steppes next to the Turkmenistan border. During these recent treks in the spring of 1999, two foundation Caspian stallions and eight Caspian foundation mares were gathered to once again be rescued by Mrs. Firouz’ nurturing care. Courageously overlooking her past, seemingly overwhelming losses, she is experiencing the renewed joy of watching the newborn Caspian foals thrive under her ever watchful eye.

پیوست ها

• image18.gif
    image18.gif
    80.3 کیلوبایت · بازدیدها: 19
  • image17a.gif
    image17a.gif
    25.3 کیلوبایت · بازدیدها: 14
  • image15a.gif
    image15a.gif
    21.6 کیلوبایت · بازدیدها: 135
  • image13a.gif
    image13a.gif
    4.6 کیلوبایت · بازدیدها: 15

atila

بوردان بیر آتلو گئچدی آتون اویناتدو گئچیدی
گون کیمی شفق ساچدی آی کیمی باتدی گئچدی
ترجمه
از اینجا سواری گذشت اسبش را جولان داد و گذشت
مثل خورشید نورانی کرد مثل ماه غروب کرد و گذشت

خبر دردناکی بود به تمام اسب دوستان عزیز تسلیت میگم . ما همه رفتنی هستیم اما فکر اینکه آیا باز خانم قره گوزلو یا لوئیزی دیگر پیدا خواهد شد عذابم میدهد .براستی سرنوشت اسبان ایران به کجا ختم خواهد شد؟ :'( :'( :'( :( :( :(

♘امیرحسین♞

Whist preparing for the Bath & West Show in Somerset we heard the news
of Louise's sudden & unexpected death in Iran.On behalf of all the
members of CBS(UK) I would like to offer my deepest sympathy to
Louise's family & friends.
The public are always interested in the old photos of Louise & the
original Caspian imports & these will be treasured keepsakes now.
Her work & knowledge is invaluable to the breed & hopefully the many
enthusiasts around the world will keep her vision alive.
Perhaps we can join with the CHS in a memorial service for Louise in
the Autumn.
Best wishes to the Caspian fraternity.

Angela Leadbetter (chairman CBS(UK)​

♘امیرحسین♞

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, having read all the wonderful
tributes to Louise.
To say I am stunned is an understatement, we knew she was ill, but
never expected this.
We had some wonderful conversations, and she was always so free with
information, my only regrets are that I never knew her as a friend
merely as a person who was always happy to talk Caspians and offer
encouragement, and that I never managed to get her name and comments in
our visitors book - what a missed opportunity.

Others have paid tribute far more elloquently that I am able, but
please pass my condolences to family and friends of a truly great lady.

Debbie.​

♘امیرحسین♞

We want to give our deepest condoleanses from Sweden to Louise´s family.

We are all grateful of what she has done for the horses in the world, not just the Caspian breed, putting the light on the small breeds that without her would have been extinct and put into history. Thanks to people like her there is something left for us to continue her work with conservation, and her spirit will hopefully encourage other people to do the same. The Caspian are not just a breed but also a link into our common history, and a good ambassador of the country of Iran.

Louise! Thank You for letting us to know You!

Regards

Tommy Carlsson
Chairman of SCHA​

♘امیرحسین♞

An Epitaph for Louise

"Horses she loved and laughter and the sun;
a song, wide spaces and the open air.
The trust of all dumb living things she won,
and never knew the luck too good to share.
Now, though she will not ride with us again,
Her merry spirit seems our comrade yet,
Freed from the bonds of weariness and pain,
Forbidding us to mourn or to forget."

I've just changed the gender. It was in a book given to me as a child in the 39-45 war. It was anonymous, simply titled 'Epitaph 1916' I imagined it was written for a young officer killed then and I have never forgotten it and I recall it now as the most appropriate words I can think of.

Rosemary H​

بالا