Oliveira and Bucher

OliveiraHenriquetTitle2.jpg

By Michel Henriquet and Jean-Claude Racinet

A Debate on Nuno and Baucher

Between
Michel Henriquet and Jean-Claude Racinet
This from Michel Henriquet:
Baucher or the equivocal dogmatism
I hesitate to mobilize once again this excellent rider-translator that is Hilda Nelson, but I do want to bring up a few points mentioned by our friend Jean Racinet in "Comment and Response," which appeared in the December 1995 issue of D&CT. It should be pointed out that, contrary to Racinet's thinking, I have worked as many central and northern European horses as I have Iberian horses. In fact, at the moment, I have only one Lusitanian horse qualifying to participate in the Olympic Games; alas, he has been convalescing now for several months. At the moment, I also have in my stable two Dutch, a Westphalian, and one Russian Holsteiner.
All of them are being worked by my wife Catherine and by me. The Westphalian is seven years of age, 1.80 meter, and in 1995 came first twice in the Prix St. Georges and once second and placed at the Intermediate I. The Dutch horse came second (behind the Westphalian) and has placed three times. All of them execute the airs required for the Grand Prix and possess and equilibrium and a lightness that is the equal of any Iberian horse.
For this accomplishment, I thank Nuno Oliveira and, through him, La Gueriniere and Baucher.
Concerning the philosophy of my master. Short of being the "simplistic" rider, attributed to me by Jean Racinet, I can say that more than 30 years of regular work with Nuno Oliveira, as well as with my three of four Portuguese co-disciples, have given us a clear understanding of the sources from which Oliveira drew. The recent new edition of Oliveira's early work, preceded by an introduction in the form of an autobiography, which his children asked me to do, especially his son Joao, whom his father named as his spiritual heir, has just been published.
I hereby present some excerpts that pertain to the matters at issue in connection with Jean Racinet. Joao Oliveira, who became acquainted with my introduction when he received the new edition of his father's book, telephoned me at length and said: "I am calling you to tell you that I have never seen an analysis that is so accurate; you have so clearly understood the personality of my father, his philosophy and his technique."
"Without denying for an instant the beneficial results brought about by the pillars when used by the beneficial results brought about by the pillars when used by the master of Versailles, one must acknowledge their eventual fall from grace. Nothing would replace these pillars until 50 years after the closing of the doors of the School of Versailles, when Baucher communicated his methode to the equestrian world. In this book, which deals with his first period, Baucher describes work in hand, wherein the trainer, a mobile and intelligent pillar, realized, in place and through movement, isolated and specific supplings of all the areas of the horse; this led, with considerably less risk, to a rassembler and a gymnastic that are more complete than when they were acquired at the pillars."
DCTIntelligentPillar.jpg
Not satisfied with this remarkable discovery (as well as with some others), Baucher, who wanted to be considered the complete innovator, eventually reached a total impasse with respect to the rich and subtle progression introduced by La Gueriniere, to the point of even eliminating the term "shoulder-in" from his vocabulary. It is from then on that a period of confusion began to make itself felt and which lingered right into our own period; this confusion resulted in two schools opposing each other, eventually contributing to the veritable decline of French equitation.
DCTPeriodofConfusion.jpg
I found myself on the side of the Baucherists and on a road to perdition until I discovered Maitre Oliveira. Nonetheless, I still continued to consider the equitation as practiced by the Ecole Versailles as one that went back to the Middle Ages.

DCTAuthenticFusion.jpg
It was only little by little that I became aware that what the Master was doing was actually attempting an authentic fusion of the two schools in order to create a French equitation purified of all exclusive and personal antagonisms, of systems that were too rough, and of false innovations. Thus, out of what were unquestionably historical roots, he fashioned a uniform doctrine.​

La Gueriniere "accompanied" Oliveira when he proclaimed the necessity of the trot and the immediate preoccupation on the part of the rider to push the young horse forward into this gait, work at a slow and shortened walk, lower the haunches by means of halts and half-halts, the sumptuous shoulder-in, the haunches-in, the constant search for a cadence which leads to outstanding passages, and, finally, this obsession with lightness and brilliance, maintaining a free and unrestricted position. He succeeded in suppling his horse without the use of pillars, even though he was well familiar with this technique.
Baucher came to Oliveira's aid when he "resolved force and movement" (interruption of the movement in order to make contractions yield), with the concept of "hand without legs, legs without hands" (the use of a single force at a time), with work in hand, supplings and flexions wherein he excelled, descentes de mains et de jambes (momentary yielding of hand and leg aids without altering the horse's equilibrium), the subtle contact of the spur, and the effets d'ensemble (coordinated effects).
DCTDreamlikeRassembler.jpg

This twofold inspiration gave Oliveira the possibility of always placing horses in an ideal rassembler, a dream-like rassembler, be it with Iberian horses, which he rode daily a la Gueriniere, or with quasi-thoroughbreds, horses that were often worse than the ones Baucher rode.​

This "in vivo" synthesis of two techniques and two philosophies, which had so divided the equestrian world, was achieved by Nuno Oliveira with such prodigious results in the course of the past 50 years. These results, know to all, make him the first innovator and the greatest equestrian intelligence of this century.

DCTGreatestEquestrianIntelligence.jpg

Indeed, Oliveira appreciated Baucher considerably and made use of a number of his precepts. I have already mentioned those he chose and those he rejected.
Oliveira's poetic ideal (one need only read his works to be convinced of this) belonged much more to the universe of La Gueriniere than that of Baucher, who stated that "the horse, as soon as he is ridden, must only function in accordance with a transmitted strength… a struggle will necessarily occur between the horse and the rider," or further still, "form the very beginning it is important to give the horse this first lesson in subjugation and make him understand the power of man."
I do not want to hear about the first and second manner. It is obvious that Baucher was definitely handicapped after the terrible accident and that he could never again be what he had been before. Indeed, one looks in vain for the name of the a horse trained in accordance with the second manner who has achieved the reputation of a Partisan or a Capitaine.
The drama of Baucherism is Baucher's own drama, this quasi-characterial imperative to deny everything that had occurred before him, this jealous sensitivity that made him refuse to apply the method, even to evoke the very name of this golden key to equestrian art, namely, the shoulder-in.
According to him, nothing existed before him. Not satisfied with being a great innovator, he wanted to be a creator. One should not try to look elsewhere for the cause of the failure of the diffusion of his method, the serious deviationism of his disciples, and the violent rejection of Baucherism on the part of the ecuyers in the rest of Europe.
Indeed, the horses utilized at the time had very little if no aptitude for the rassembler which the horses of the School of Versailles possessed; only the coercive methods of the first manner, often verging on violence, could make these poorly endowed horses execute the required movements.
As far as I am concerned, Baucher could have risen to the level of the universal equestrian greats had he been satisfied in accepting a part of the heritage of the ancients and simply adding his own considerable discoveries. Instead, he carried along with him and after him a cohort of riders who got lost in their attempt to apply his precepts rigorously and who never succeeded in training their horses.
Less naïve undoubtedly, those close to him did not hesitate to use the heritage of Versailles: General Faverot de Kerbrech in Dressage du Cheval de Dehors describes in detail, yet without mentioning the term, the shoulder-in, and refers to it, instead, as "lateral effects." General L'Hotte, Baucher's most faithful discipline, in Questions Equestres, Chapter V, gives the following description: "when we practice the lesson of the shoulder-in;" further on, in Chapter VIII, L'Hotte criticizes "the error into which riders fall when they insist on giving their horses, who have a naturally disposed low neck, a marked elevation of the neck… whereby their loins, their over-charged hocks are impeded in their free play, and the harmony of movements is destroyed." Eventually, Henri Baucher, the master's son, will recommend the shoulder-in in his Training of the Horse in Thirty Lessons (1881).
I conclude by saying that if from the XIXth Century on to the present, the exhaustive virtues of Baucher have been extolled by some of the theoreticians of Baucherism, we have yet to see a single horse, from his early breaking-in period, on to all the airs rassembles trained by Baucherism alone.
On the other hand, it is known that there exist one or two ecuyers of the Vienna School and some other horsemen who have created works of art, inherited from the Ecole de Versailles.
Reprinted with Permission from the Publishers of Dressage & CT !​

JanCoverSmall.jpg

OliveiraRacinetTitle.jpg

Jean-Claude Racinet
Let's be "equi-vocal" and say "neigh"!
RacinetF.png

irst and foremost, a warning: Michel Henriquet will perhaps feel offended with the vivacity of my answer. This would be an error on his part. I hold him in high esteem as a rider, and he knows it. I even happened to admire him at a time when his mastery outshone mine by so much. When I had a problem, I often resorted to him, and he always had the right answer. I, of course, never stated that he was a "simplistic" rider, as he states. The tragedy of our dialogue over the columns of D&CT is that it is perhaps blurred by a double translation process: from me to him , and from him to me. As the Italians say: "traduttore, tradittore"("translator, betrayer"). I offer my apologies to Mrs. Hilda Nelson, who, like a referee in a boxing match, is getting the blows.

RacinetWasOlivieraBaucherist.png

It is with a little bit of lassitude, I must say, that I engage in this answer, for I'm not sure that the American reader, or to be more precise the English speaking reader, is very fond of these split hair polemics, whereby each "amp" tries ad infinitum – and ad nauseam – to justify its position on such or such historical or doctrinal detail. All the more so as, about the gist of the matter, to wit "was Oliveira a Baucherist?", Mr. Henriquet's opinion matches exactly mine, perhaps expressed in a clearer and more convincing way, for which he deserves all my gratitude.

RacinetSynthesis.png

In short: Nuno Oliveira realized a synthesis between the old system (La Gueriniere's) and a newer one (Baucher's ), and this synthesis expresses the true soul of the French way of riding. Bravo!
It is, therefore, all the more surprising to see Mr. Henriquet, upon acknowledging that through the teaching of Oliveira he is beholden to both La Gueriniere and Baucher, engage in a bitter condemnation of Baucherism as such. If this is not equivocation, what is?
Baucher, says Mr. Henriquet, was a proud man: so what? In the Southeast of France, there is a woman, Jeanne Calment, who is the oldest known woman on earth; she is 121 and happens to have known van Gogh. She says that van Gogh was obnoxious. This does not diminish in the least the genius of van Gogh.
Baucher, says Mr. Henriquet, did not practice shoulder-in; so what? Moses, that I know of, did not climb down the Sinai with a tablet under his arm reading: eleventh commandment: "thou shalt practice shoulder-in!" Besides, what shoulder-in is it about? In La Gueriniere's shoulder-in, four tracks are traced, but more important, the hind hooves set down aslant with respect to the movement, and cross over each other as well as the front hooves (La Gueriniere is very specific on this point), which is not the shoulder-in enforced by the FEI.

RacinetFourTrack.png

I must acknowledge that the shoulder-in of the FEI, whereby a slim angle (owing to the three track requirement) and a marked bending practically force the hind feet to set down in the direction of the movement, may also claim some historical legitimacy, since it can be traced at least as far back as the 1791 Portuguese Manoel Carlos de Andrade's Luz da Liberal e Nobre da Cavallaria… (Light of the Liberal and Nobel Art of Cavalry). Has Mr. Henriquet ever attempted to point out the contradiction? And if this is not equivocation, what is? And how can one make the base of a method (the so-called "classical") a movement which responds to two contradictory definitions? And how can one condemn a method (Baucherism) for ignoring an exercise defined in such an ambiguous way?

RacinetThreeTrack.png

Mr. Henriquet "does not want to hear about the first and the second manner." Yet after having condemned the Baucherist teacher of his youth for his attempts at elevating the neck (the horse's), which can be found in the second manner, he praises Oliveira's acknowledgment of the "release of the aids" (descentes de mains et de jambes), the separation of the aids ("Mains sans jambe, jambe sans main"), which are in the second manner as well. In other words, Mr. Henriquet picks up what pleases him in the Baucherist method, and he is welcome to do so. But after having "borrowed" some ( as a matter of fact, most) of the procedures and sometimes the very philosophy of Baucher, how can he condemn Baucher's method so violently? And if this is not equivocation, what is?
Mr. Henriquet mentions that, according to Baucher, "a struggle will necessarily occur between the horse and the rider…" by the beginning of the training and the first manner was often "verging on violence." Well, violence has always been present in horsemanship and alas, still is. I must say that I myself was rather disappointed when I read in La Gueriniere's Ecole de Cavalerie that one of the advantages of the "school walk" was to: "Accustom the horse to abide the pain and fear of the violent lessons one is obliged to give him in order to supple him and confirm him as he progresses in the obedience of hands and legs" (translation is mine; a French saying goes "one is never better served than by oneself"). And I was appalled reading in another part of Ecole de Cavalerie which will never be translated into English or any other language since it is so obviously obsolete that the best way to deal with the problem of a horse's sticking out his tongue out of his mouth was to cut out all that was jutting out. But this, of course, is not about horsemanship, it is about veterinary art. Yet speaking of La Gueriniere, Mr. Henriquet has only praise for the "the rich and subtle progression" he introduced. So it always about the same hackneyed dialectic trick of anti-Baucherists, who, of course, are neither "dogmatic," nor "equivocal." Speaking of Baucher, emphasize the evil, But how could the marriage between the good (La Gueriniere) and the evil (Baucher) produce the perfect (Oliveira)? Please, tell me.
Mr. Henriquet will retort that I don't understand him, that he does not reject all of Baucher, but that practicing Baucherism as a whole led him to an impasse. Well, that's exactly how Baucher felt himself with respect to La Gueriniere's system, which led him to try other paths. And so it appears that horsemanship (like science) progresses from impasse to impasse. Perhaps, someday, someone will feel stranded in an impasse practicing Oliveira's system. Who knows?
Or course, I have more to say. But instead I would like to say – Let's call it quits.
</FONT /></FONT />Reprinted with permission from the publishers of Dressage&CT

Feb2006CoverSm.jpg

Baucher explaining Himself

M. BAUCHER'S AIRS DE MANEGE.

Translation from Monsieur Baucher's Methode d'Equitation," explaining the following perform­ances (called "Baucher's Seize Nouveaux Airs de Manege"), as exhibited by him on his horses, "Partisan," "Capitaine," "Neptune," and "Buridan." They are adapted only for the circus, but they are both extraordinary and interesting, as they show to what extent the System may be carried.

"Les etudes premieres bien comprises conduiseut a l'erudition. Plus 1'esprit a de consistance, plus il a de brillant et de justesse."

(Passe-temps Equestres.)

Those who systematically denied the efficacy of my" Methode," should have also denied its results. But they were obliged to admit, together with the public, that my performance at the "Cirque Olympique" was both new and extraordinary; though one and all attributed the result to different causes, maintaining, of course, that the rider's horsemanship was nothing compared to the sagacity displayed by the horse.

According to some, I was a new Carter, taming my horses by depriving them of rest and nourishment; others would have it that I tied ropes to their legs, suspended them in mid-air, and then made their limbs play like those of puppets; some, again, supposed that I fascinated them by the power of the eye; and part of the audience, seeing the horses work in time to my friend Monsieur Paul Cuzent's charming music, actually maintained, seriously, that the horses had a capital "ear for music," and that they stopped at once with the clarionets and trombones.

Thus music had more power over the horse than I had - the beast obeyed an ut, or a sol, staccato, but my hands and legs went for nothing!

Could any one imagine such nonsense emanating from people who actually passed for horsemen!

I conceive perfectly that they could not at once understand the means employed, because my "Methode" was new; but, before passing judgment on it in such an extraordinary way, they should, I think, have tried at least to make themselves acquainted with it.

I found the old school of Equitation so limited, and its movements all so much alike, that when you could do one, you could do them all. The rider who, on a straight line at a walk, trot, and canter, could make the horse work with his hind legs upon a parallel line to its fore, could, of course, work "Passage Shoulder In," Passage Shoulder Out," "Shoulder In," and perform the "Volles Ordinaires," or "Renversees," "Change of Hand," &c., &c., &c. As for the "Piaffer," it was supposed that nature alone decided that point.

This long and tedious work had no variety but in the different names applied to its movements; since it was sufficient to conquer the first difficulty to overcome all the others.

I therefore invented some new "Airs de Manege" (movements), the execution of which required the horse to be more supple, better in hand, and to have more finish in his education than was formerly necessary.

With my system, this was easy; and to convince my adversaries that in my performance at the Circus there was neither mystery nor magic, I shall explain by what means - purely equestrian - I brought the horses to execute the sixteen "Airs de Manege" that appeared so wonderful, and this without the assistance of pillars, cavessons, or whips.

Nuno Oliveira Defines what Forward Is and How to Actually Use the Leg

by Eleanor Russell

[ER]: Yes. I’m trying to remember how he put it. I’m sure it comes up in the chapter on legs. “….to obtain lightness, you must not only be attentive to the principles but especially to the quickness necessary for understanding the sensation the horse gives you.” And that, to me, is terribly important. People don’t try to feel what the horse is thinking.
[HFL]: What a wonderful line. To be able to feel what the horse is thinking. I love that.
[ER]: So do I. [On] page 8, “the legs of the rider - some people have the tendency to use too much pressure with the legs. I would try to use a very simple explanation to make you lose the tendency to use too much legs. The horse breathes and if the pressure with the legs is continued, then he must breathe with his chest contracted.” Now who thinks about that? How many riders do you know who would register that, least of all think about it? “The legs would be near the horse, but soft without moving, and they must be touching with very quick instances. They must touch and relax.” They must touch and relax and if necessary, touch again, but only for a fraction of a second. I see most riders with their legs glued tight to the horse.
[HFL]: Let’s go back to the part about the horse breathing and that legs are literally wrapped around his lungs. And you’re right. Not enough people think about that.
[ER]: I don’t think it even registers, let alone think about it. That’s why your legs must be wrapped around the horse - soft. We’re all taught at Pony Club to grip, and I think it’s very hard for people to get over it. We have a young horse here that was broken in and that was going very pleasantly. He hadn’t been broken in very long. And I had a woman who actually couldn’t keep her bottom in the saddle who wanted to try him and see if she wanted to buy him. She got on him and he took it all very quietly and calmly. About a month later, there was a visiting pupil here who was clearly arrogant. She got on this horse and I now know that she’s got an incredible grip in her legs because that horse leapt into the air and started to buck like a horse coming out of a shute with a flank strap on. She did it twice to the horse and I actually rang up the guy who broke the horse and talked to him about it. I could not believe this horse let this very overweight middle-age woman plop on the saddle with him and he didn’t object a month before, and then this girl got on him and clearly she got on, slammed the legs on him and gripped like hell. And he said “oh my god!” and leapt in the air and started to buck.
[HFL]: That tells you how much it bothered the horse to have strong legs on him. It bothered him more than having someone plopping on his back.
[ER]: He was very good. I think it was probably a reasonable deal so he put up with it. He said “ok, it’s on my back and it’s not really hurting me” but this [gripping legs] really scared him.
[HFL]: Well, if he’s having the feeling that he can’t breathe and he can’t move, then he’s going to have problems. And aside from a horse’s breathing, his barrel and spine actually shift depending on his bend, and which direction he’s going in, so his barrel needs to be able to tilt back and forth at the top of his vertebrae. How is he supposed to do that with somebody on his back clamping like crazy? He can’t. So not only does it irritate him when he’s breathing, but it interferes with his ability to move and balance himself and to activate his own body. It puts him in a straightjacket. So I don’t think that’s a very healthy thing.
[ER]: It always surprises me how obliging horses are.
[HFL]: Quite honestly, I really wish they would do something. You can see how some of them are being abused. I really wish they would object more so more people would get the idea that “hey, this horse doesn’t like it”.
[ER]: What it says here is that it (the clamping legs) restricts their movement. It says here in the chapter about the legs of the rider that “in the beginning of shoulder-fore and half-pass, you must touch for one second only to allow the horse to step without being in a hurry. In most case it happens to be pressed all the time, not always at a good time, and that is the reason we see insufficient crossing of the horse’s legs. We do not allow the horse the time to do the movement in cadence. It should be in his cadence.” And we see it so much in competition. The horses begin their half-pass and although they get across the diagonal, they become what we call “grounded”. They lose their cadence and it’s because they’re

Born 23rd June 1925. Died 2nd February 1989.

NUNO OLIVEIRA, by his tireless work, study, and belief in the Classical Principles of the art of training horses provided the link with the Great
Masters of the 16th, 17th and 19th century in Europe, and the changing and expanding world of the 20th century.

Nuno Oliveira taught and trained all his life, based originally in Lisbon, and later in Avessada, Portugal. He gave numerous performances with his
beautifully trained horses throughout Portugal, often for charity. In the 1960's and early 1970's, he travelled to many countries in Europe and the
United Kingdom to give demonstrations of all Classical movements. He also travelled to the United States, South America, and also to Australia and
Asia giving training clinics and performances.

He was regarded world-wide as the last of the Old Master Trainers, always devoted to the principles of the Classical Trainers of old. All of his life Nuno Oliveira studied and practised this equestrian art, demanding of himself and his students discipline, calmness and always absolute correctness, in all
movements the horse performed.

Nuno Oliveira rode like a King, and always his horses carried him like a King. Neither circumstances nor fashion ever deviated him from his beliefs.

His equestrian school/home was located in Avessada, a small village in Portugal, where he trained his own horses as well as visiting students, who came from all corners of the globe to learn from the Master. Nuno practised his life's work invariably listening to a recording of a great tenor
singing a Puccini or Verdi opera, his other great love.

He travelled the world giving clinics and teaching riders who became, not only dedicated students, but good friends. More than a decade after Nuno
Oliveira's death, these friendships have developed into a world-wide network (including organisations like the Classical Riding Club) active in promoting Classical Principles in training horses.

To quote Nuno Oliveira... "equestrian art is the perfect understanding and harmony between horse and rider".

Here are his quotes, very inspiring I think!

Nuno Oliveira quotes, translated from German:

"The secret in riding is to do only a few things but to do them right"

"The more you do, the less success you will have"

"The less you do, the more will go right"

"Feel your horse and don’t sit with a dead seat like you are riding a bike"

"I don’t want to have riders who tire themselves out. Work by thinking instead."

"It is good to ride with closed eyes once in a while"

"The hands have to be like cement when the horse resist and like butter when the horse yields"

"When riding a well trained horse, the fingers should only very rarely close"

"The small and ring fingers can yield but never the thumb."

"The lowering of the hand is not a gesture but means that you stop being active with your hand"

"Lowering the hand means to open the fingers while the horse has to remain in the same posture and gait and display the same degree of cadence."

" In the art of riding, any excuse to yield is justified."

"There is a world of difference between holding and pulling."
Don’t try to follow the rules with your hands but have natural, relaxed hands with soft fists."

I LOVE THIS ONE! :

"Each use of the hand has to be preceded by an action of the upper body, otherwise the rider is merely influencing the horse’s head."

"Don’t play with the reins when they are tight but yield first and then play with the reins."

"The hand should be like a filter, not like a lid or an open tap."

"It is a lot better to risk loosing a bit of contact than not to yield."

"Leg action does not necessarily mean that the calve becomes active as the leg of the rider starts at the hip. It is often enough to use the hip."

"Banging the horse’s sides with the ankles, especially in the sitting trot will certainly disturb the horse’s gait."

"The legs have to softly drape so that they can gently activate, not through closing but through touching."

Love this one too!:

"If your legs are stiff, you risk that your horse becomes hard in the mouth."

" Spurs are a lot less useful than one might think."

"A spur that is constantly touching the horse’s sides does not drive the horse forward but on the contrary, it will make the horse sluggish."

"When you touch the horse with stiff legs, the horse will become stiff."

" Just like the hands, the legs have to give and take."

" The errors of the legs are reflected in the horse’s mouth."

LOVE this one too!:

"Do not forget that hips and legs drive the horse forward while the hands simply channel this force through gentle rein aids."

"Follow the horse’s mouth through your back."

"The rider contains the horse with the hip and upper body; arms and legs are aids."

"Move your hips towards your hands rather than moving your hands towards your hips."

"Use your hands and legs sparingly and keep the balance through your seat."

"Drive with your back, brake with your back."

"The rider has to feel the back and follow the mouth but focus more on the back than on the mouth."

"For a horse to be in balance, it has to be relaxed which is why it must not be compressed."

"To cease the aids does not mean to leave the horse on its own but to keep the contact while doing as little as possible."

"The rider has to rest on a horse but not withdraw."

"Each time you are about to loose impulsion, your legs have to intervene."

"Learn to cease the aids."

"When the horse is resisting the left rein, try to substitute the left rein aid with the left leg."

"One should not learn how to ride by learning the rein aids but by learning how to feel."

"Careful, danger! When talking to riders about impulsion, they tend to push; when you mention lightness to them, they tend to throw the reins away."

"The rider who leaves a horse on his own in the name of lightness is not working but is just strolling with his horse. The one who pushes and pulls is a wild person. "