Choosing a Name For Your Horse

♘امیرحسین♞

♘ مدیریت انجمن اسب ایران ♞
Find the Perfect Name for Your Horse, Pony, Donkey or Mule
Older horses often come with names. But you may not like the name, or sometimes you don't know what the horse's name is. A new foal will need a name. You'll probably need a registered name and a stable name. Here are some ideas, links and other resources for naming your new horse or foal.

I like two syllable stable names. I find these easier to say and am less likely to shorten the name further. Before you decide try the name out a few times. How does it feel calling across the pasture? Does it sound funny with other words? Lots of horses are named Bo or Beau. But I think it would feel odd to say ‘whoa Beau’. My family once had a horse named Razz. We always felt that saying we were going to ‘ride Razz’ was a bit of tongue twister.

Of course you can have fun with registered and show horse names.
Make your name as fun, elegant or descriptive as you like. Names like Goliath, Tiny, Mr. Handsome, or Beau describe the physcial attributes of your horse. Names like Patience, Casanova, or Flirt may describe other characteristics. Does your horse have an unusual marking? That could inspire names like Valentine, Star or Dot.

If you are choosing a horse’s registered name get all the details from the registry regarding the rules. Most registries don’t allow duplicate names so you may have to put together several and the registry will have final choice. Some breeds will have to use part of the sire and dam’s names; some will have to start with a particular letter. Most have a limit to the number of letters in a name.​

بالا