Sven Holmberg resigns from FEI roles

reza eslahi

FEI Bureau member Sven Holmberg has resigned from two key positions with the sport's world governing body.
010.jpg

Sven Holmberg. © Jan Gyllensten
The Swede has resigned as a member of the FEI Bureau, and as chairman of the Jumping Committee, with immediate effect.
Holmberg was first vice-president of the FEI under Princess Haya, but decided to stand against her for the presidency.
He ran a high-profile campaign, calling for major reforms. He was highly critical of the way the so-called "progressive drugs list" issue was handled by the organisation.
He finished with the votes of 23 nations in the November election in Chinese Taipei, with Haya garnering 90 of the 124 valid votes. Dutchman Henk Rottinghuis received 11 votes.
Haya nominated another first vice-president in the wake of her successful re-election.
Holmberg, who became an FEI Bureau Member when he was elected as chairman of the Jumping Committee in 2005, became FEI first vice-president the following year.
He was re-elected as chairman of the Jumping Committee at the 2009 FEI General Assembly in Copenhagen, Denmark.
"Sven has dedicated an enormous amount of time to the FEI in a number of different roles over the past six years and I would like to thank him sincerely for his devotion to horse sport and particularly to jumping," Haya said.
"His deep knowledge and understanding of the sport have benefitted the FEI enormously. I wish him well for the future."
The deputy chairman of the Jumping Committee, John Madden, of the United States, takes over as acting chairman with immediate effect.
The position will be filled on a permanent basis at the General Assembly in November.
Haya said: "I have spoken to John Madden today and look forward to working closely with him. He is a well-respected member of the equestrian community and is well-placed to lead the sport of jumping going forward."

بالا