Setback for Rothschild's Olympic hopes

reza eslahi

Setback for Rothschild's Olympic hopes

February 10, 2011
The hopes of French businessman Edouard de Rothschild representing Israel in showjumping at the 2012 Olympics have suffered a setback, with confirmation that one of his horses is still lame.
002.jpg

Ludo Philippaerts with Winningmood, one of the horses bought by Edouard de Rothschild in his Olympic bid. © Dirk Caremans/FEI
Lamm de Fétan, whom Rothschild bought last July, has bone oedemas in his fore fetlocks, a condition which has existed for several years, Rothschild said.
"He will make his reappearance if and when this situation can be permanently stabilized. I hope by next summer. I am guided in this approach by my horsemanship skills, my ethics and my management of horses under my responsibility," Rothschild said yesterday.
Rothschild, who owns the newspaper Libération and is president of France Galop, is reportedly worth more than $US320 million. He has spent about $US6 million on horses for his medal bid, and also bought Winningmood from Ludo Philippaerts in 2009. He has four-time Olympic gold medalist Ludger Beerbaum as his coach.
Rothschild breeds racehorses at the stud he inherited, Haras de Meautry, in Toques in Basse-Normandie.
He said last year that he was not good enough to ride for France so would move to Tel Aviv and take up Israeli nationality.​

بالا