McVean seals World Cup series victory

reza eslahi

Katie McVean scored a convincing win in the final of the New Zealand World Cup series at Tauranga yesterday, and with it the chance to take part in the final in Leipzig, Germany, in April.
She was a comfortable winner with her World Equestrian Games horse Dunstan Delphi, and finished third with Dunstan Daffodil, who picked up just a single time fault in the opening round of the class.
"Winning the series this year is huge for me because I really wanted to go to the final," said McVean, 24. "She's done Spruce Meadows and the World Games and now I feel she is ready for the World Cup final - last year, she just wouldn't have been."
Her Tauranga outing was just her second since her return from the World Games in Kentucky last year. "She has a lot of her spark back now and is fitter and ready to go."
McVean plans to head to the 2011 Horse of the Year Show in Hastings in March to defend her Showjumper of the Year title and will fly out with Delphi the weekend after. She is still undecided whether she will also take Daffodil.
"I'm trying to get an invitation to the Hermes Show in the middle of Paris, which would be two weeks before the World Cup final and would be a good ease-in for Delphi."
Ten combinations started yesterday's class in Tauranga, with just McVean on Delphi and Bernard Denton on Suzuki going clear inside time to progress through to the jump-off.
McVean was first out and she and Delphi flew the course, galloping into the final fence a big oxer and causing plenty of breath-holding ring-side. But they needn't have worried, the combination didn't touch a thing and stopped the clock at 40.91.
"As I was doing it I remembered we'd done the same in the speed class on Thursday night - and had it down, but Delphi learned from that and knew she had to jump it clear."
Denton gave it his all but took two rails and was six seconds slower.
The water jump proved a challenge for a couple of combinations over the technical John Vallance course.
In the pony grand prix Melanie Weal and Hopeful Illusion headed home a 20-strong field, none of whom managed to jump the first round clear. Instead Weal and Meg Lambert aboard Co Calico, who each had four faults in that first round, jumped off for top honours. Both took a rail in the jump-off but Weal was faster.
• Dunstan Daffodil fooled them all in the Cathay Pacific one star grand prix on the third day of the Championships, sneaking in for a very smart win.
Daffodil and Katie McVean were one of three combinations to go through to the jump-off. None of the original 23 starters managed to leave everything up, so the four faulters came through to jump off for honours.
First out was Mathew Gilmour and his newly-imported Belize Di Cantero, who set the pace at 42.14 seconds. McVean and Daffodil looked to be taking their time but a well placed cut inside the wall to into the second to last fence saw them stop the clock at 40.17.
Rachael Bentall and Kiwi Brave jumped a super round but couldn't quite match McVean, coming home in 40.82 for second place.
Candice Fox showed why she's leading the KiwiSpan junior rider series with a fantastic win aboard Larkham. They were one of seven combinations who went through to the jump-off, notching an impressive and comfortable 36.39 when time mattered. Second placed Hannah Harding (Auckland) and Cosmic Cowboy came home in 39.39.​

بالا