Kentucky Officials Learn About Livestock Through KHC Training

reza eslahi

The Kentucky Horse Council (KHC) in partnership with the Kentucky Cattlemen's Association (KCA) will offer Level I Livestock Investigation Training in Wilmore, Ky., on March 16-18. The three-day intensive hands-on training prepares animal control and peace officers for the investigation and case management of livestock situations.

Developed by experienced enforcement officers, veterinarians, and livestock producers, this training is unique to the Commonwealth. Throughout the Level I course attendees learn how to handle horses and cattle, access body condition score in both species, identify situations that need intervention, and apply Kentucky statutes to animal cases.

"By expanding the knowledge base of Kentucky officers we've positively impacted the outcome in several equine cases," commented KHC board president Anna Zinkhon. "To date 103 Kentucky officers, representing 49 counties, have completed the Level I training, while 34 completed the Level II course."

Conducted with support from Asbury University in Wilmore, guest instruction will be provided by authorities in Kentucky animal abuse statutes and livestock management and faculty from Asbury.

"The livestock investigation training allows us to provide qualified instruction on livestock handling and care to those who are first responders in livestock cases," noted Dave Maples, KCA executive director. "Our animal control and peace officers are on the front line answering complaints, educating the public, and responding to animals running at large. It is abundantly clear to me that as an industry, livestock producers are responsible for ensuring that our officers know how to respond appropriate and safely to all cases. Through the livestock investigation training and the partnership with the Kentucky Horse Council, we strive to provide an increased level of understanding for Kentucky officials."

The class is sponsored in part by the Kentucky Soybean Board, Kentucky Animal Care and Control Association, and Byars Equine Advisory.

Livestock Investigation Training is endorsed by the Kentucky Animal Control Advisory Board. Peace Officers attending the training are eligible for continuing education units through the Department of Criminal Justice Training.​

بالا