Gymnastic excercise

I have been asked to share some of the training techniques that I use, so I have created this area for that very purpose. I will try to post a new exercise here, with graphics, as often as the mood strikes me. If you have a request for exercise ideas, post a comment below and I will address it.
Some of you may have figured this out already, but I will let you in on a little secret, I am a stickler for accuracy! Yes, I admit it, I am an accuracy-a-holic. Why? Simple, if you ride your exercises accurately then your horse will athletically develop, on the other hand if you ride pear, diamond, oval, or square shaped circles then your horse will struggle to maintain balance, rhythm and tempo. BR and T are paramount to training success, hence accurate circles are paramount to athletic development. Some coaches who are even more traditional than I will even claim that every step you take on a horse you are either athletically developing the horse or breaking it down. Lesson 1! Ride accurately!​
The figure below is how I set up my school based on the common 20m x 40m arena.

20m x 40m Dressage School​

A 20m x 60m school can also be setup like this, ask me for a diagram if you can’t figure out where to place everything.
What are those coloured blobs and red lines?
The red lines are trotting poles, notice the placement… the ones on the centerline are placed so that the center of the pole is exactly 5m from the letters C and A. The ones on the quarter school are placed so that the center of the pole is exactly 5m from the wall (or perpendicular to and on the quarter line) and 10m from the short side, parallel to the short side. This creates a 10m x 10m square in each corner. I have drawn a dashed line circle in each corner to demonstrate the 10m circle in these 10m x 10m squares. Notice that 2 of the 4 points of the circle touch the center point of each trotting pole and the other 2 points touch the track 5m from the corner. Notice that in the corner by “H” I do not use a trotting pole on the quarter school, this is left out on purpose so that you can test your 10m circle without the aid of this pole.
On the bottom right in the corner by “F” there are 5 trotting poles set up in a grid pattern, one of the exercises I will be sharing uses this grid so there will be more info on that later.
The “coloured blobs” are cones. I like to use 18″ tall soft plastic cones that don’t shatter or break when stepped on. Since I have a rule, knock over a cone buy me a bottle of wine, the cones cost more than the cheap wine I like to drink so I don’t want them breaking. I also like to use multi coloured cones – I find it really helpful when I am teaching and directing my students through this maze be referring to the “blue cone corner” or ride through the “orange cones” etc.​
In placing the cones;
In each corner I place a cone about 8 of my footsteps out from the corner. The cone should be far enough in that your horse can go around it on a 10m arc and not so far in that should you wish to ride a 20m circle at “C” or “A” the cone is not in the way. 8 of my feet is about perfect. Experiment with your own feet. I also place a cone 5m from the corner on the short side (quarter line marker) and 5m from the corner on the long side. These provide points of reference for the 10m circle in each corner when combined with the middle point of each trotting pole. I like to use 3 cones in each corner that are the same color, this way during lesson I can say “in the yellow cone corner” etc.
On the center line I place a cone 10m from X and then a second cone about 5 of my feet back towards X so that if you ride a perfect 20m circle in the center of the school, you will pass between these cones on the center line. I also place cones on the half school line 5 of my feet from “E” and “B”.
In the center of the school, around “X” I like to setup 4 cones for a Volte. If your horse is not schooling that level, then place these cones so that if you were to ride a 10m circle around “X” then you would ride around the outside of these 4 cones. This is really good reference for schooling a spiral circle which is an exercise that we will get to soon.
Have a look at the school, if you have any questions or comments I would be happy to answer them.
Cheers! Chris​

Warming Up – Part 1, At the Walk.

This exercise plan is primarily for horses that are showing Training Level and above. For young horses just starting one must be careful not to use much rein contact at the walk for this can ruin the walk quickly. Since the walk has no natural impulsion, too much work with contact at the walk can damage the quality of walk. The walk, once spoiled is nearly impossible to correct.​
One of the most important exercises that you can do with your horse is a thorough warm up.

20m x 40m Dressage School​

I believe that the warm up should be around 15 minutes.
So many times I have seen riders warm up without a “plan” – rushing through the process in some hurry to get to the “good stuff”. Warm up can be boring I suppose, but if you have a thorough plan for your warm up, it is amazing how much better the “good stuff” is!
My warm up starts at the walk and continues through the trot and canter, stretching both sides of the horse through gentle bends, initializing engagement of the quarters, and connecting the horse through longitudinal stretching. This warm up pattern is just one roadmap, I use several different methods just to keep things fresh but they are all based on the same ingredients, be creative!​
Start with Longitudinal stretching at the walk:
No big secret here, free walk, free walk, free walk! Several times around the school in both directions without really trying to steer the horse anywhere particular, just go forward and straight trying not to interfere with the walk. I have my students stretch themselves whilst free walking. There are some excellent exercises out there for stretching the rider, I have the rider place the whip under their leg, drop the reins over the whip handle so that they can pick them up at any time and then have them start stretching legs, torso, arms, shoulders etc. Takes the boredom out of the free walk!​
Next, Lateral stretching at the walk:

Pick up the reins lightly, not a true medium walk at first, let your reins be as long as you dare, but do not dare to lose the connection. So you should have a slight feel of the bit and it is not important if the horse has his nose out, he will come to the bit soon enough. As you ride through the following elements of this exercise your horse should start to offer you some loose rein, gently pick it up as you go through the next part of the warm up.

Warming Up – Part 2.
The last post I made on this subject we had completed the walk warm up, stretching our horse from side to side and initiating some lateral stretching of the abductors and adductors. Now we will use the same series of patterns for the trot. It is important to confirm these exercises at the walk before we try them at the trot.
There are several notes that I would like to add that deal with this pattern at the trot. For the most part, the working trot during the warm up should be executed rising. The diagonal that you rise on will have an effect on how well your horse is able to balance through this pattern, plus some parts of the pattern are quite useful for developing outside rein therefore the correct diagonal will be of benefit in helping that outside rein connection.​
10m Circles at the Trot.
We will start with Lateral stretching at the working trot rising, so, from the walk on the left rein in the purple cone corner by K, ask for the working trot rising and ride a 10m circle left.​

Riding 10m circles​

As in the walk, pick up the reins lightly, just enough to feel a connection, let your reins be as long as you dare, but do not dare to lose the connection. So you should have a slight feel of the bit and it is not important if the horse has his nose out, he will come to the bit soon enough. As you ride through this pattern your horse should start to offer you some loose rein, gently pick it up as you go.
Once your 10m circle feels good, change rein into the blue cone corner by F. Since early in our warm up we should always take several strides of straight before changing bend I like to ride up the centerline just past the quarter school (and my orange cones) change diagonal and then do a half 10m circle back to the track.
Once this 10m circle feels good I then proceed to the shallow loops up the centerline.​

4 shallow loops at the Trot.
Shallow loops are a wonderful way of suppling the back through gentle changes of bend, be sure to take a stride or two of straight as you cross the center-line and make sure that you keep the loops shallow, no more than 3 – 4 meters each side of the center-line.
For this exercise I find it helpful not to change posting diagonal every time I cross the center-line, in a small school that change of bend occurs quite quickly and sometimes it is best to try to maintain a steady rhythm rather than change diagonals and loose that rhythm.
Since you will be starting the loops from the F corner on the right rein, stay on that posting diagonal until you get to X, change there and then continue the next two loops on that diagonal, when you get to the 10m circle in the green cone corner by H on the left rein you will once again be on the correct diagonal.​
4 Shallow Loops down the Center-line.
From your 10m circle in the blue cone corner at F, straighten and go just past A slightly bending to the right.​

Riding Shallow Loops​

Ride your 1st loop 3 – 4 meters to the left of the center-line so that you pass through the 2 orange cones located on the center-line 10 meters from A. Try to look at and head towards the single orange cone in front of B straightening as you near the center-line and then change rein as you cross the center-line slightly bending left. Remember, do not change posting diagonal yet!​
Ride your 2nd loop 3 – 4 meters to the right of the center-line so that you pass through X. Try to look at and head towards the letter H, straightening as you near the center-line at X and then change rein as you cross the center-line slightly changing the bend to the right. Now, change your posting diagonal.
Ride your 3rd loop 3 – 4 meters to the left of the center-line so that you pass through the 2 red cones located on the center-line 10 meters from C. Try to look at and head towards the yellow cone in the corner near M straightening as you near the center-line and then change rein as you cross the center-line slightly bending left. Again, dont change posting diagonal yet.
Ride your fourth and final loop 3 – 4 meters to the right of the center-line so that you finish up at the letter C.
Now go large on the left rein and make a 10m circle in the green cone corner by H.
Proceed to the next exercise, 2 shallow loops down the longside.​

2 Shallow Loops down the long-side at the Trot.
Shallow loops are a wonderful way of suppling the back through gentle changes of bend, be sure to take a stride or two of straight as you change bend and make sure that you keep the loops shallow, no more than 3 – 4 meters in off the track.
Riding shallow loops down the long-side teaches both the horse and rider that inside and outside aids are relative to the bend and not necessarily relative to the direction that you are travelling around the arena.
For example; if you are travelling clockwise around the arena (or, to the right) and you have your horse bent to the right, then the inside aids are the right leg and rein and the outside aids are the left leg and rein. However, if you are travelling colockwise around the ring and you have your horse bent to the left, then you are riding a counter pattern and your left leg and rein would then be your inside aids (even though they are the aidsclosest to the outside of the arena) and your outside aids would then be your right leg and rein (even though they are the aids closest to the inside or center of the arena).
The inside aids are relative to the bend, not the center of the arena.

Riding Shallow Loops along the long-side​

Leaving at H slightly bent left, straighten for a stride or two and then change the bend to the right once you are about 1.5m from the track and 1/4 the distance to E.
Continue to make the loop larger left until you are about 3m from the track and 1/2 the distance between H and E then start to ask the horse to return to the track with your outside aids, once again changing bend back to the left when you are about 1.5m from the track and 3/4 the distance between H and E.
The feeling should be like you are riding a smooth, shallow “snake like” path.
Repeat for the second loop between E and K and finish up with a 10m circle in the purple cone corner.​

4 Shallow Loops down the center-line.
From your 10m circle in the purple cone corner at K on the left rein, straighten and go large just past A slightly bending to the left.​

Riding Shallow Loops down the centerline​

Ride your first loop 3 – 4 meters to the right of the center-line so that you pass through the 2 orange cones located on the center-line 10 meters from A.
Try to look at and head towards the single red cone in front of E straightening as you near the center-line and then change rein as you cross the center-line slightly bending right. Remember, do not change posting diagonal yet.
Ride your 2nd loop 3 – 4 meters to the left of the center-line so that you pass through X.
Try to look at and head towards the letter M, straightening as you near the center-line at X and then change rein as you cross the center-line change your posting diagonal and slightly change the bend to the left.
Ride your third loop 3 – 4 meters to the right of the center-line so that you pass through the 2 red cones located on the center-line 10 meters from C.
Try to look at and head towards the green cone in the corner near H straightening as you near the center-line and then change rein as you cross the center-line slightly bending right. Remember, do not change your posting diagonal.
Ride your fourth and final loop 3 – 4 meters to the left of the center-line so that you finish up at the letter C.
Now go large on the right rein and make a 10m circle in the yellow cone corner by M.
Continue on to the next portion of the exercise, 2 shallow loops down the long-side.​

2 Shallow loops down the long-side at the Trot.
Riding shallow loops down the long-side teaches both the horse and rider that inside and outside aids are relative to the bend and not necessarily relative to the direction that you are travelling around the arena.
For example; if you are travelling clockwise around the arena (or, to the right) and you have your horse bent to the right, then the inside aids are the right leg and rein and the outside aids are the left leg and rein. However, if you are travelling colockwise around the ring and you have your horse bent to the left, then you are riding a counter pattern and your left leg and rein would then be your inside aids (even though they are the aidsclosest to the outside of the arena) and your outside aids would then be your right leg and rein (even though they are the aids closest to the inside or center of the arena).
The inside aids are relative to the bend,not the center of the arena.
Next we will ride 2 shallow loops down the long-side.

Riding Shallow Loops down the long-side​

Leaving at M slightly bent right, straighten for a stride or two and then change the bend to the left once you are about 1.5m from the track and 1/4 the distance to B.
Continue to make the loop larger right until you are about 3m from the track and 1/2 the distance between M and B then start to ask the horse to return to the track with your outside aids, once again changing bend back to the right when you are about 1.5m from the track and 3/4 the distance between M and B.
The feeling should be like you are riding a smooth, shallow “snake like” path.
Repeat for the second loop between B and F and finish up with a 10m circle in the blue cone corner.​

Leg Yield Right to Half Pass Right.
The Leg Yield is used to teach the horse to move sideways, away from leg pressure, and forward at the same time. A wonderful suppling and loosening exercise, one can also use it to transition into the true lateral movement of Half Pass. This exercise uses the natural boundary of the school wall to help develop both the Leg Yield and the Half Pass.​
Counter Pattern, Leg Yield (head to wall) to Half Pass (head to wall).
This is where it gets tricky. Since this is a “counter pattern” you will start by tracking right, but you will be asking your horse to bend to the left for the head to wall leg yield / shoulder out movement. The posting diagonal needs to be changed before you change the bend from right rein to left rein. This will help you really push your horse into that outside rein (which is your right hand because you are in counter pattern mode) off your inside (left!) leg.
From your 10m circle near F change your posting diagonal (this is a counter pattern!) and go large. As you go around the purple cone in the corner by K – change the bend to the left and continue down the long-side in a shoulder out / leg yield / head to wall like position.​

Leg Yield Right to Half Pass Right​

Try to maintain a 30-35 degree angle, 45 is too much and less than 30 degrees really doesn’t do anything constructive.
At E change the bend and your posting diagonal. Continue in a Haunches In / Half Pass / Head to Wall like position. Since we are changing the bend, we are also swapping our inside and outside aids. The old inside leg (left) stays in position behind the girth. The new inside leg (right) moves forward towards the girth. Our seat should also change with the new inside seat (right) advancing and becoming deeper. Softly change the rein as well so that the left rein becomes the outside rein and the right, the inside rein.
Try not to get the angle too deep, think more like a shallow bend of the horse, make it easy for the horse to do.​
Leg Yield Right to Half Pass Right, from the centerline back to the track.
Now do a 10m half circle and turn up the center-line, straighten for a stride or two. Change the bend and your posting diagonal. Bend your horse slightly left and ask for leg yield right staying parallel to the long-side. About half way back to the track, try changing your posting diagonal and counter bending a little to the right, changing your seat and leg aids to Half Pass right. Try and ride all the way back to the track at the letter K in Half Pass. At first the Half Pass can have a rather shallow angle or bend, referred to as a “soft” Half Pass. Over time as your horse gets stronger it will develop into a true Half Pass with a steeper angle and more bend.
Once back to the track straighten and now change your posting diagonal and ride a 10m circle on the left rein in the purple cone corner by K.​

Leg Yield Left to Half Pass Left.
Now that you have ridden the Leg Yield Right to Half Pass Right it is time to ride the same process to the left. If you find your horse moves off your right leg better than the left leg, you might wish to reverse the pattern and ride the easier side first.​
Counter Pattern, Leg Yield (head to wall) to Half Pass (head to wall).
From your 10m circle near K change your posting diagonal (this is a counter pattern!) and go large. As you go around the blue cone in the corner by F – change the bend to the right and continue down the long-side in a shoulder out / leg yield / head to wall like position.​

Leg Yield Left to Half Pass Left​

Try to maintain a 30-35 degree angle, 45 is too much and less than 30 degrees really doesn’t do anything constructive.
At B change the bend and your posting diagonal. Continue in a Haunches In / Half Pass / Head to Wall like position. Since we are changing the bend, we are also swapping our inside and outside aids. The old inside leg (right) stays in position behind the girth. The new inside leg (left) moves forward towards the girth. Our seat should also change with the new inside seat (left) advancing and becoming deeper. Softly change the rein as well so that the right rein becomes the outside rein and the left, the inside rein.
Try not to get the angle too deep, think more like a shallow bend of the horse, make it easy for the horse to do.​
Leg Yield Left to Half Pass Left, from the centerline back to the track.
Now do a 10m half circle and turn up the center-line, straighten for a stride or two. Change the bend and your posting diagonal. Bend your horse slightly right and ask for leg yield left staying parallel to the long-side. About half way back to the track, try changing your posting diagonal and counter bending a little to the left, changing your seat and leg aids to Half Pass left. Try and ride all the way back to the track at the letter F in Half Pass. At first the Half Pass can have a rather shallow angle or bend, referred to as a “soft” Half Pass. Over time as your horse gets stronger it will develop into a true Half Pass with a steeper angle and more bend.​

Once back to the track straighten and now change your posting diagonal and ride a 10m circle on the right rein in the blue cone corner by F.
This article consists of multiple pages, use these page number links below to navigate and continue reading.

Yield In, Half Pass Back.
This exercise is quite difficult, but the benefits are huge! If done correctly it becomes like a dance, in from the track to the quarter-line in Leg Yield and back from the quarter-line to the track in Half Pass. your horse maintains the same relative bend, however, he changes the legs that cross over in front, first moving away from the left leg, then the right leg, etc.
Track right from A into the corner by K and change your posting diagonal and the bend to the left, Leg Yield (right) in a couple strides and then Half Pass (left) back to the track, try to arrive just before E and straighten for a stride or two and then repeat from E to H, go large and repeat down the other long-side. Try and ride this pair of “in and backs” closer to the quarter-line, further in from the track, before returning to the track.​

Leg Yield In - Half Pass Back​

Change rein “into the corner”, that is from A ride a half Volte left toward K and then back to A. Now tracking left on the long-side ride a mirror of the “in and back” from F Leg Yielding (left) in and Half Pass (right) back to the track just before B, straighten and repeat between B and M. Now, go large and ride one more pair of “in and out” down the next long-side between H and E and E and K. Again try and ride the “in” further from the track with the goal of reaching the quarter-line before returning back to the track.
By now you should have your horse in a good working trot, bending easily left and right with the haunches engaged.
As always, if you feel your horse losing the desire to go forward or straight at any point in the above exercises, do not hesitate to trot some straight lines.​

Now that we have warmed up our horse laterally at the trot, you are ready for the next exercise in my warm up, Trot to Canter over Poles which will introduce longitudinal stretching at the working trot.
This article consists of multiple pages, use these page number links below to navigate and continue reading.