Bernardini

♘امیرحسین♞

♘ مدیریت انجمن اسب ایران ♞
Bernardini is a thoroughbred race horse foaled on March 23, 2003 at Darley Stable in Kentucky, USA. By A.P. Indy, he is out of Cara Rafaela who won almost a million dollars over the course of her racing career. Her sire was Quiet American, who also produced Real Quiet, a horse that came within a nose of winning the 1998 Triple Crown.

Bernardini is most famous, perhaps, for his victory in the 2006 Preakness Stakes in a time of 1:54.65, but the impressive 5 1/4 length win was overshadowed by the tragic and ultimately fatal injury to the sensational Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro.

Bernardini was ridden to victory in the Preakness by jockey Javier Castellano, and is trained by Thomas Albertrani. Owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, the crown prince of Dubai, Bernadini is regally bred, with Belmont Stakes winner and 1992 Horse of the Year A.P. Indy as his sire, and a bloodline that includes Seattle Slew, Spectacular Bid, and Secretariat. By blood, he is related to Triple Crown contenders Real Quiet and Charismatic.

Bernardini's racing career began at age three at Gulfstream Park where he finished 4th in a maiden special. After a lung infection kept him from racing for 2 months, he came back with a win at Gulfstream on March 4. On April 29, he easily won the Grade III Withers Stakes in his last race before the Preakness.

On May 24, Sheik Mohammed decided that Bernardini would not race in the June 10 Belmont Stakes, which meant that for only the 4th time in 60 years, there were neither the Kentucky Derby winner nor the Preakness winner in the field. A spokesman for Sheik Mohammed's Darley Stable reasoned that "...(Bernardini) climbed the ladder of competition quite quickly" and that "he deserves the break."

Bernardini returned to the races on July 30th at Saratoga Race Course with an emphatic 10-length victory in the Jim Dandy Stakes over Minister's Bid. On August 26, 2006, he won the Travers Stakes, also in Saratoga, by 7 lengths over Haskell Invitational winner and Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes runner-up, Bluegrass Cat. In the October 7 Jockey Club Gold Cup, Bernardini won in impressive fashion, earning a 117 Beyer figure. Though it was a small field with nothing much to challenge him, Bernardini proved that he was truly a major contender.

The ultimate goal for Bernardini in 2006 was the Breeders' Cup Classic on November 4, the most prestigious horse race in the country and a race that would most likely determine 2006 Horse of the Year honors. The race would also mark the anticipated first meeting between Bernardini and his west-coast rival Lava Man, along with the highly regarded Argentine horse Invasor.

In the race, Bernardini was never far back from the lead, and passed the frontrunner Brother Derek at the far turn. However, against the extremely strong Breeders' Cup field, Bernardini was unable to hold his lead and he was passed by Invasor at the sixteenth pole. Despite the efforts of jockey Javier Castellano, Bernardini finished in second place, losing to Invasor by a length.

Soon after the race, it was decided that Bernardini would be retired to stud, and will stand for $100,000 at Sheikh Mohammed's Darley Stable at Jonabell Farm near Lexington, Kentucky. The Sheikh's decision ends the outstanding racing career of Bernardini, but perhaps his true potential will never be realized. Even so, he won the Eclipse Award for 3 Year Old Male of the Year for 2006.​

پیوست ها

• Bernardini.jpg
    Bernardini.jpg
    15.8 کیلوبایت · بازدیدها: 6

♘امیرحسین♞

♘ مدیریت انجمن اسب ایران ♞
Bernardini, who took command of the 3-year-old division starting with an overpowering victory in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), has been retired from racing for stallion duty at Sheikh Mohammed's Darley at Jonabell near Lexington.

The son of A.P. Indy will stand for $100,000 and will be joined at Darley by leading sprinter Henny Hughes, who raced for Sheikh Mohammed's son, Sheikh Rashid, in the name Zabeel Racing International. A 3-year-old by Hennessy, Henny Hughes will stand for $40,000.

"These are the supreme Thoroughbreds of their generation and each bested older horses, too," said Darley's Dan Pride. "They are well-bred and exceptionally attractive. They were not only brilliant, but they came back for more time and again. We couldn't be more thrilled than to have the chance to stand them."

Both Bernardini, a Darley homebred, and Henny Hughes contested the Breeders' Cup. The 11-10 favorite in the Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I), Bernardini succumbed to Invasor's closing kick in the deep stretch and finished a length behind that rival in second while in pursuit of his seventh straight win.

In the TVG Sprint (gr. I), Henny Hughes was bumped repeatedly in the beginning and lacked running room. He finished last in suffering his first defeat of the year.

Trained by Tom Albertrani, Bernardini proved a worthy divisional successor to Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner Barbaro after that runner suffered a career-ending injury in the Preakness. Bernardini won by 5 1/4 lengths in what was just his fourth start, all this year.

Rested until the Saratoga meeting, Bernardini won both the Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) by nine lengths and the Travers Stakes (gr. I) over Bluegrass Cat by 7 1/2 lengths over divisional rivals at the Spa. He then took on older horses in the Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I) at Belmont and won by 6 3/4 lengths.

Bernardini retired with six wins from eight starts and earnings of $3,060,480. Unplaced first time out, he won by 7 3/4 lengths in his next start, then took the Withers Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct. Bernardini is out of the grade I-winning Quiet American mare Cara Rafaela.

Henny Hughes, who was purchased privately by Darley last year after a 15-length score in the Tremont Stakes at Belmont, proved lightning quick in his three scores this year. Trained by Kiaran McLaughlin, he won the six-furlong Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) by 10 lengths in 1:08.26; the seven-furlong King's Bishop Stakes (gr. I) by 5 1/4 lengths in 1:21.96 at Saratoga; and the Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) in 1:08.13 over older horses at Belmont. He is the only horse to complete the King's Bishop/Vosburgh double in the same year.

As a 2-year-old, Henny Hughes also captured the Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II) and ran second in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) and the Champagne (gr. I) and Hopeful (gr. I) Stakes. He retired with six wins and three seconds from 10 races and earnings of $1,124,820.

Bred in Kentucky by Liberation Farm, Trackside Farm, and Arthur Seelbinder's CHO, Henny Hughes is out of the stakes-placed Meadowlake mare Meadow Flyer.

Darley also announced that the fee for first-crop sire Street Cry has been upped to $50,000 from $30,000. Street Cry's son, Street Sense, galloped home 10 lengths clear in the Juvenile.

Street Cry (Machiavellian--Helen Street, by Troy) took command on both the first-crop and sires of 2-year-old list with Street Sense's triumph.

"We are pleased to offer 2007 seasons for approved mares at $30,000 to anyone who bred a mare to Street Cry in his first four years," Pride said.​

بالا