Understand Diagonals

Understand Diagonals and How to Ride Then at a Posting Trot
Not long after you learn how to post the trot you are going to hear your instructor say, "You are on the wrong diagonal!" What are diagonals and why do they matter? They are an important basic riding skill for both English and Western riders. Here are some frequently asked questions about diagonals and some ideas on how to master them

What are diagonals?

The trot is a two beat gait. When a horse trots it reaches forward with its left foreleg, and right hind leg, and then reaches forward with its right foreleg and left hind leg—the diagonal legs are synchronized. With a trot there are always two hoofs on the ground and two in suspension. The footfall pattern remains the same whether the horse is turning left or right. At a trot it is the rider that needs to be aware of what diagonal pair to rise or sit on to help the horse balance and flex

Why are diagonals important?

If you plan to do a lot of trail riding such as competing in competitive trail riding or endurance racing you’ll want to change your diagonals often. This way you won’t always be putting your weight on, the same set of legs during the sit phase of your posting.
It is also important in ring work if your goal is to make your horse bend and balance around corners. To get around a corner smoothly your horse needs to slightly tuck up and pivot with the back inside leg and reach further with his outside foreleg.
As you rise, you take some of your weight off of the horse’s back for that moment, helping him make those adjustments in stride a little easier. You may find your inside leg is steadier too.

How do I know I am on the correct diagonal?

When you are first learning to ride diagonals can be very confusing. Try to remember that you will be rising out of the saddle as the outside front leg is reaching forward. Lower your eyes and use your peripheral vision to check the motion of the outside shoulder. Don’t look down by tipping your head as this will put you off balance. Try listening for the footfalls too. Eventually you will develop a feel for the stride pattern of your horse and posting on the correct diagonal will come naturally

How do I correct my diagonal?

To change diagonals simply sit out one full stride. Begin rising again after one ‘bump’ of the trot. This should put you on the correct diagonal.
Check using your peripheral vision that you are now posting so that the rising phase is coinciding with the forward stretch of the outside front foreleg

بالا